Friday 1 November 2013

Critical Reflection


In the past, my essays would lack organisational structure and my thoughts were all over the place. I rarely had to write essays, as my course in Polytechnic only required me to write business reports, which are unlike academic essays. I was not confident of writing the essay and was quite apprehensive about it. Initially, I did not know where to start and how I was going to proceed on with my essay even though I had some ideas. By learning how to prepare my thesis and revolve my essay around my thesis, I had an easier time starting on the essay. The process leading up to the essay proper was very helpful for me. The summary of globalization allowed me to grasp the topic and understand what this phenomenon was. The reader's response segment was something new to me and I struggled to put it together in the beginning. After the exercise ended, I have learnt much on how to formulate a reader's response with comments provided by the tutor. I also learnt how to put my opinion into writing and substantiate it with findings from academic writings. Advice and feedback from my peers and tutor was very useful as they also saw that my thoughts did not flow and were not cohesive. This whole experience made me realize how much I still have to work on and has motivated me to not stop learning but to continue improving on my writing skills. Recently, I had to write a few essays for other modules and I found it easier to start on them. With more practice, I believe my writing skills would improve.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much, Bennie, for this clear, concise reflection. I like the way you tie the essay process in with the summary and reader response. You've made great headway through the term, thanks to your fine effort. Best of luck on the final draft of the essay!

    ReplyDelete