Tuesday 20 August 2013

Reflective writing

English was never one of my favourite subjects until I was eleven. As compared to the other subjects I took in primary school, I found English classes to be the most mundane. The grades I obtained for English also decreased my liking for the subject and as a result, I focused more of my time on other subjects. Everything changed when my primary five teacher came to class and told us to put aside everything while she handed out a piece of paper with song lyrics on it and played the song. After listening to the music, we were asked comprehension questions in the form of a quiz. It was a refreshing change for me and for once I was brimming with enthusiasm in class. I began to participate actively in English classes. Yet in primary six, I went back to my 'old' ways. My English tutor had to be strict and harsh towards me to get work done. I lacked the discipline and could not see the importance of learning. Looking back, I should have been more of an active learner rather than allowing the teaching methods to determine my learning attitude. By being inquisitive and taking charge of my own learning journey, I realised that learning can be fun and interesting. But its never too late to start :)

4 comments:

  1. This is a short and sweet reflection, Bennie, one that conveys the idea that content "focus" is so important as a means of inspiring kids to take charge of their learning. You describe the change you felt in primary five succinctly. I'm curious though why music lyrics made a difference. Why do you think you found that more inspiring than, say, reading a story or doing exercises? In short, why was that fun and other stuff not?

    Thanks for exploring this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bennie for your lovely post. I think it is great that you reflected on the importance of active learning, a lesson we can all take away.

    I feel that maybe you could have broken up the post into separate paragraphs. I kinda have an obsessions with very short paragraphs, so I might be wrong here, most probably am. Otherwise, a lovely post, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that often times short paragraphs are easier for the reader to "digest." This idea is used by magazine and newspaper writers. Take note of the length of most paragraphs in the typical Straits Times article.

      That being said, a case can be made for a slightly different approach in academic prose. Still, as writers we need to consider what facilitates ease for our readers understanding what we write.

      I do think it would be possible to break your paragraph into two. At what point (or sentence) might that be best done?

      Delete
  3. Hi Bennie!

    I have to agree on your learning point about being an active learner and taking charge of our own learning journeys, for it is one that we should all start doing.

    Like Lewis, I felt that you could have broken up the post into several smaller paragraphs. To me it would enhance the reader's experience when reading your reflection.

    Just one small correction you can make: "But its never too late to start :)" --> "But it is never too.."

    Overall, a concise and interesting post!

    ReplyDelete